Thursday, April 23, 2009

Little Fish: Off to the Big Freaking Sea

Friday is the day, folks. I'm sorry that this blog is as short as it is, but wow, it's exactly 3:33 in the morning, and I have been BUSY. I need to go lay down, and get ready to load in tomorrow. One suburban, one little dodge neon, and one U-Haul trailer will be loaded to the gills (hehe- a pun!) Remember, tune in for hopefully many updates and pictures from the road.

Here's a question: Why move from a big river to this big freaking sea to which I am about to head? Mainly, I believe it's what I'm supposed to do, after much prayer and seeking God's guidance. Also, check this out.

In college (the first time around), when I went to Mercer University in Macon years ago, I knew what I wanted to do, and struggled to get into the 3 or 4 theatres in town. I wanted to test and grow what I suspected was my talent. To be fair, Macon Little Theatre gave me the most opportunity, but generally, theatre in Macon was a tough business for me.

At the school where I was majoring in theatre and trying to learn how to be a better actor, I was hardly ever given the opportunity I felt I should have been given. The director then was a sweet man, but had a tendancy to cast the same two women most of the time. Anyone who has had any experience with the dramatic world knows that female roles are much harder to come by- there are fewer of them than the male roles. Thus, this made things even tougher.

To make a long story short, as I must at this hour, my opportunity was greatly limited in Macon. When I got to Atlanta, though, there was SO MUCH MORE opportunity than what I had experienced in my home town. It was amazing. Roles I had never dreamed of became available to me and I was finally able to test my skills and have them appreciated by other artists. What a feeling! I thank God for that opportunity.

Now though, years later, walls have been hit in Atlanta, and once again, I feel the need to expand. Perhaps eventually I can elaborate on some of Atlanta's special concrete, but that is a story unto itself (or two or three). Will there be barriers in the West? Of course, but hopefully, as it was before, there will be more promising prospects there as well, and the chance to perform on a completely new level. Please keep me in your prayers, and look for a post sometime around Sunday. Maybe by then I'll have some nice pics to share!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you found time to post! I'm impressed. I'm thinking of a post about yesterday, myself. It will be titled "The Big Five-O and Cats in the Ceiling." Weird day. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, Kristi! Have fun with your adventure!

    ReplyDelete