Sunday, May 31, 2009

Trying Something New

So, I have been needing to get into a church here in the Los Angeles area, but the task of starting the search for the right one has lost out the last few weeks- lost out to my laziness and self-imposed frustration over the daunting need to find the needle in the haystack- the right one among all the churches here. Excuses. Why do I put this on myself? I can't do anything on my own- I can't find the right friends, the right job, the right man. I have to follow the Lord in these things. Why do I think looking for a church would be any different? I don't really. I just really like to sleep in, and I make whatever justifications to myself that I can.


I also think that one of the problems I have had for a while is that some of the churches I had tried- and I have to say that often I probably did not give them a fair chance, nor had made the effort I should have to get involved with the people in them- were helping me to grow or engaging me as a Christian in the way I wanted to be engaged. I was finding worshipping God much easier while reading a book or watching something inspiring. But God wants us to have that support of other believers, and that love between us, and I think there is a congregation for everyone. I should address this more in another blog, because I think it is an area that I need to explore.



So anyway, this week, I am trying to take the step. After calling Mastermedia (thanks to Robin's suggestion), a super outreach ministry to people in the entertainment industry, I was able to get referrals to a couple of sites for Christians who are new to this area, particularly those who are entertainers. One excellent one is http://www.hollywoodconnect.com/. In addition to great resources, support and encouragement for like-minded Christians, they suggest a list of churches whose congregations are sympathetic to the needs of those in the arts.


I looked at the list just a few minutes ago, and found one that I am excited about trying. Years ago, as I studied and grew in God's word, I began to learn more about the Old Testament and how the history of the Hebrews seems to paint the picture, across the canvas of millenia, of Christ's life and sacrifice. The beauty and meaning of the Feasts of Israel began to really come alive to me, and I longed to be able to participate in a Passover Feast. I have never had the opportunity, though.


A while back, I even started planning a documentary I wanted to shoot about Messianic Jews, who often suffer persecution from both other Jewish people and Gentiles because of their choice to serve Jesus Christ. Our own ignorance as a modern society is astounding sometimes, in that so many people think Christians and Jews are polar opposites, and one could not ever be the other.


On the list of churches on the Hollywoodconnect site is a congregation called the Beth Ariel Fellowship. Here is the description of their mission:


"Beth Ariel Fellowship is a spiritual home for Jews and Gentiles who have embraced Yeshua (Jesus) as Messiah and Lord."


I am excited, and as I have always felt a strong kinship with the Jewish people, I hope to be able to really grow in my understanding of how God truly has, I believe, written across history the story of man's redemption through preparing His Nation for the coming of His Son! I am thankful He allowed us Gentiles to be a part of it all!


"It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, 'It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.' In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring." Roman 9:6-8


Praise God! This is Good News! I'll try to keep you all posted on my search for a church home and how this congregation works out.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really exciting, Kristi. I'm glad you called Mastermedia. I thought that would be a good first step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Kristi! I have attended a Passover Seder conducted by a Messianic Jew at my church, and it was wonderful! Very exciting and enlightening. I have also known people who attended the kind of church you are talking about and really loved it. I pray you find a great church home.
    BTW, there are a lot of Vineyard churches in California. You might want to check them out. John Wimber was one of the early leaders--I think it was called the "third wave" movement in the '70's--and he was from an entertainment background. He was the producer or manager for the Righteous Brothers before he was saved.

    ReplyDelete